If your HP 63 ink cartridge (HP Deskjet, Envy or OfficeJet printer) is displaying the error message ‘Protected Cartridge’ or ‘the indicated cartridge can only be used in the printer that initially used it and must be replaced’, etc., then the HP 63 ink cartridge has been permanently disabled for use in all printers, except for the original printer that it was first installed into.
Moving forward, to disable this setting on your printer you can either restore the printer to factory default settings or if your printer is connected to the internet then you can disable this feature directly. Please refer to either of the following procedures.
Always ensure the ‘Cartridge Protection’ feature is turned OFF or DISABLED on your HP printer.
The easiest method to disable cartridge protection is to restore the printer to it’s Factory Default Settings; this can be achieved via the printer’s control panel display buttons.
1) On the printer’s control panel display select Setup.
2) From the Setup menu select Tools.
3) From Tools menu scroll down to select Restore Factory Defaults.
4) Once selected the Restore Factory Defaults window will prompt a warning.
Click Yes to proceed with Restore Factory Defaults.
5) After clicking Yes the printer will proceed to restore factory defaults and restart automatically.
6) The ‘Protected Cartridge’ feature is now disabled.
NOTE: If you currently have a ‘protected’ ink cartridge installed it will need to be disposed of and replaced with a new cartridge. Moving forward any new HP 63 ink cartridge installed into your printer will not be protected and may be refilled and reused, or may be recycled and remanufactured for future customer use later.
To disable the Protected Cartridge feature on internet connected printers, obtain the IP address from the printer’s control panel:
1) At your printer’s display, select the network icon or button to view the IP settings and record the 9 or 10 digit number shown (i.e. 192.168.1.15 for example).
2) Open a web browser such as Chrome or Firefox….in the search bar at top of page type in the 9 digit address with decimals.
3) Since this is a locally connected printer, you may ignore Non-Secure HTTP or Not Private Connection warning messages by selecting ‘advanced’ at bottom of page…
4) The embedded web server page should open.
5) Select ‘Tools’, ‘Cartridge Setting’….here you can check the Cartridge Protection state. If ON, go ahead and select ‘OFF’.
6) After a few seconds you may close the internet browser; all changes will be automatically saved.
NOTE: If the full printer driver is installed you can disable the cartridge protection feature via the HP Printer Assistant (this is accessible via the Start Menu, Devices & Printers). Choose ‘Disable HP Cartridge Protection’ within the ‘Maintain Your Printer’ window.
HP 63 Ink Cartridges:
HP 63 Black Ink Cartridge (F6U62AN)
HP 63 Tri-Color Ink Cartridge (F6U61AN)
HP 63XL Black Ink Cartridge (F6U64AN)
HP 63XL Tri-color Ink Cartridge (F6U63AN)
For more information on ink refill services and locations or if you are seeking advanced printer/cartridge help, visit Inkjet411 for further assistance.
Supported Printer Models:
HP DeskJet 1110 Printer
HP DeskJet 1111 Printer
HP DeskJet 1112 Printer
HP DeskJet 2130 Printer
HP DeskJet 2132 Printer
HP DeskJet 3630 Printer
HP DeskJet 3632 Printer
HP DeskJet 3633 Printer
HP DeskJet 3634 Printer
HP ENVY 4512 Printer
HP ENVY 4520 Printer
HP ENVY 4522 Printer
HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer
HP OfficeJet 3833 Printer
HP OfficeJet 4650 Printer
HP OfficeJet 4652 Printer
HP OfficeJet 4655 Printer
Post time: May-15-2018